Why You Should Wear A Watch On Memorial Day

3.3K Flares Twitter 36 Facebook 322 Pin It Share 17 Google+ 30 StumbleUpon 2.9K LinkedIn 0 Reddit 0 3.3K Flares ×

Memorial Day

We usually think of Memorial Day as the precursor to summer, a long weekend or a time to get the garden started; the real meaning is all too often forgotten. Memorial Day is more like a holiday for your memory, it is time to remember. Remember the souls that have sunk with ships, fallen from the skies, been trampled by calvaries and cut down by gunfire. Remember the men and women that have died in captivity, while assisting their injured comrades and while fighting to make sure you make it to the next Memorial Day.

I’ve come up with an easy challenge for you, all you need is a watch.

Why a watch?

Because it tells time.

Time tells us the story of the greatest men and women on the planet. Tweet: Time tells us the story of the greatest men and women on the planet. http://ctt.ec/Jyka9+

Let me show you in military hours:

0630

At 0630 on June 6, 1944, allied infantry and armoured divisions began landing on the coast of France. Although there is no exact known figure, over 2,500 US Soldiers died during the D-Day Invasion.

0755

On December 7, 1941 at 0755, the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and more than 1,000 service members were killed.

0904

In 2007, there were 904 military casualties of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

1030

At 1030 on April 11, 1963, the Chief of Naval Operations went before the press corps at the Pentagon to announce that all 129 personnel onboard the USS Thresher had perished off the coast of Cape Cod during the vessels deep diving test.

1059

The last American soldier killed in WWI was Private Henry Gunter who was killed at 1059.

1533

At 1533 on December 11, 2013, the Defense Department identified Lance Cpl. Matthew Rodriguez, 19, as the most recent marine to be killed in Afghanistan.

1917

The first female members of the military were killed in the line of duty on May 20, 1917. Army nurses Edith Ayres and Helen Wood were killed while aboard the USS Mongolia en route to France.

1942

Up to 1,000 soldiers died in the Bataan Death March of 1942. American and Filipino POW’s were forced to make a 65 mile trek to a POW camp. They had no food or water for the trip and many were shot or bayoneted because they attempted to sip water from the streams along the way or were too exhausted to complete the trip.

1955

The Vietnam War began in 1955, more than 58,000 US soldiers were killed during the war.

2000

On June 13, 2012, Cpl. Taylor J. Baune of Andover, Minnesota became the 2,000th casualty in the war against the Taliban in Afghanistan.

2100

At the Arlington National Cemetary, the Tomb Guard marches 21 steps down the black mat behind the Tomb, turns, faces east for 21 seconds, turns and faces north for 21 seconds, then takes 21 steps down the mat and repeats the process. Twenty-one was chosen because it symbolizes the highest military honor that can be bestowed — the 21-gun salute.

There are 86,400 seconds in a day. If you sat perfectly still and quiet for the entire day, all of those seconds would not add up to the number of deaths the American Military has suffered.

But you can wear a watch for 86,4000 seconds this Memorial Day, every time you look at it remember that a soldier has died for you.Tweet: Wear a watch for 86,4000 seconds a day, every time you look at it remember that a soldier has died for you. http://ctt.ec/5ye6a+

As your watch continues to move forward, a soldier’s life may not.

There is a time for every thing. Every minute represents a death event in the history of the American Soldier. Let your watch stir your memory as their watch protects your freedom.

Do you have an important minute in the life of a soldier that you would like to add?

You’re feeling patriotic now, aren’t you? Well head on over to the DIY Patriotic Wreath and let your home feel the love!

Comments

1. Astraea says

Just a reminder – the flag should be flown at half staff from sunrise to noon, then at full staff from noon to sunset

2. says

Excellent post and reminder. Really puts the day into context and reminds me what is important. I’m shocked again by our losses, especially Vietnam. Thanks to all those who serve or have served.

3. Carl Schneider says

The Vietnam War started much earlier than 1955. We had advisors there as early as the mid 1940s.

• Karen says

Thank you, Carl. Although there is no official” date to the start of the war. I used 1955 because it is the first year a soldiers death qualified for inclusion on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

4. says

Great post! This is what its all about! Not the Big store sales,or the beginning of Summer. Its about the lives that sacrificed themselves for our freedom.

5. says

Wow! What a great post! Memorial day is definitely a time to reflect about those who have died for our freedoms, and the watch idea, perfect!!! Love it!

6. Angela S says

I was a Navy wife and have a nephew who is swearing into the Navy this very day. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful tribute.

7. says

Such a great post! Memorial Day is so much more than “a kick off to summer”, right? Sharing this with my military friends and family!

8. Maria Oller says

I guess most of us forget memorial day is just not another holiday or no work day but a day to honor those who risked their life to protect ours, who gave away everything for us to enjoy freedom.

9. says

We lit candles and in the middle of the candles was my great-Grandfather’s Purple Heart, given to us his family as he did not live long enough to even see it! I have much to remember, and spent some time in solitude and quiet reflection.

10. says

Wow! I didn’t know all of this. Thank you for sharing – my hubby is the one of us that is up on all the war history info, he is crazy about it!

11. says

I’m visiting from SITS and wanted to let you know that I am very impressed with your blog! This post is amazing; I love this idea of properly celebrating Memorial Day. I come from a military family: my dad graduated from the Naval Academy, my mom was a Navy nurse, my grandfather was in Special Forces, my aunt is an officer in the Navy, and my uncle is a retired Army helicopter pilot. I was a NROTC student in college and have a classmate who is buried in Arlington (I have an uncle buried there, as well). My sister works for the Wounded Warrior Project in DC. Even with my deep appreciation for (and relation to) the military, I still struggle with finding ways to properly celebrate this important holiday. This is a very thoughtful way of doing so and I look forward to integrating it into my day next year!

• Karen says

I am so glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like your family is dedicated to the country and I am so humbled by their dedication. It is so important to thank and honor our soldiers!

Trackbacks

1. […] Herchel again from Scruggbug Corner with another quick and easy craft.  Though it seems like Memorial Day just passed, it’s already less than a month until July 4th.  My Easy Spring Wreath, the […]