When I was growing up, my mother and grandmother would make spaghetti and meatballs every Sunday. It took them all day, crushing bread into breadcrumbs, mixing it with spices and putting it in the pressure cooker. As lovely as that was, I am a lot lazier. I mix my pre-made ingredients, toss them in the crock pot and go.
This recipe uses 4 mandatory and 1 optional ingredient, if you don’t have homemade sauce, I prefer Contadina crushed with Italian spices, it’s my only must-have. It’s all in there and it’s delicious, no need to add anything. The other ingredients are flexible and you can substitute generic brands, entirely up to you.
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup Breadcrumbs with Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- 28 oz. Tomato Sauce or Crushed Tomato with Italian Seasoning
- Pour Tomato Sauce into Crockpot and turn on Medium Heat.
- In a bowl, combine all other ingredients. If the meat seems a little moist and is sticking to your hands, add a little more breadcrumb. If it's dry, add a bit of cold water.
- Shape into meatballs, drop into crockpot.
- Cook on medium for 5 hours.
- You can alter the time and the temperature on the crockpot if you wish. I prefer to cook for 5 hours because the sauce cooks right through the meatballs and gives them a great texture. As an added bonus, your house will smell delicious.
- If you wish to cook overnight, set the crockpot to warm, you can then cook them for 8 hours and they will come out spectacular. I find the longer they cook, the better they are!